First steps for the becoming economist
How to structure your paper
- Mensh, B. and Kording, K., 2017. Ten simple rules for structuring papers. PLoS computational biology, 13(9), p.e1005619.
On the Process of Research Writing: Outlining, Drafting, Editing
- Turabian, K.L., 2018. A manual for writers of research papers, theses, and dissertations: Chicago style for students and researchers, 9th ed.. University of Chicago Press.
- Booth, Wayne C., Gregory G. Colomb, Joseph M. Williams, Joseph Bizup, and William T. Fitzgerald, 2016. The craft of research. 4th ed.. University of Chicago Press.
More in-depth than the Turabian, the relevant parts are by the same authors.
If you know how to read you are likely to get the idea how to write well, too…
Your identity, your audience, the purpose of your research, and the often neglected yet utterly important parts of your writing
- Thomson, Pat, and Barbara Kamler. Writing for peer reviewed journals: strategies for getting published. London New York: Routledge, 2013.
You need to write more (often). Make it a habit!
- Silvia. How to write a lot : a practical guide to productive academic writing. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2007.
On (planing, drafting, and revising) written arguments
Succesful writing is stylish writing
- Williams, Joseph M., and Joseph Bizup. Style: lessons in clarity and grace. Boston: Pearson, 2016.
- Sword, Helen. Stylish academic writing. Cambridge: Harvard Univ Press, 2012.
Beware of Hyperprofessionalism!
- Shapin, Steven. 2005. Hyperprofessionalism and the crisis of readership in the history of science. Isis 96(2): 238-243
The brief version
Standard Reference Work
- The Chicago manual of style. (2017) 17th edition. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Miller, J.E., 2015. The Chicago guide to writing about numbers. 2nd ed.. University of Chicago Press.
Helpful guide for presenting quantitative information effectively.